For more questions regarding usage, feel free to contact the artist directly.Contact artist
Brazda performing at the 2012 Golden Festival on the Atrium stage.
Brazda is a New York-based Balkan band that plays fresh arrangements of traditional repertoire from Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece, and beyond.
Genre: Eastern European/ Balkan
Members: Shelley Thomas- vocals, Willa Roberts- vocals, Connell Thompson- clarinet, Jordan Shapiro- accordion, Francesco Marcocci- bass, Ivajlo Kuchev- tapan, Rami El Asser- doumbek, Oksana Rosenblum- daf
1. Sto Imala K'smet StamenaStamena's mother fell ill, and asked for cold water. Stamena gathered the jugs and went to the well to fill them with cold water. On the way, she passed by the center of the village, where the young boys were dancing, with Stujan leading the line.
2. Bacho Nikola"Why are you pacing around the yard, brother Nikola, looking up at the Balkan mountains, towards the two beech trees, towards the well?" "How can I not look, oh sister Lalke? There my band is waiting, loyal and united. They've lit a fire and slaughtered a ram and are waiting for me to bring news from the golden city of Kalofer. It's better for one mother to cry, than for twelve mothers to cry, sister Lalke." "Oh brother Nikola, great sorrow; brother Nikola, mother's tragedy."
3. Kondi KondulaThere is a short little girl in the neighborhood over there who has black eyes and curly hair. Her mother scolds her. "Why are you scolding me, mother? I'll tell you who was kissing me!"
4. a. Sedenkya Se Sbira: A sedenka is getting togetherOh Vela, you young girl. All young girls cameonly Vela is not there.
4b. Sviri Neno:Neno plays at festivals during the dayat festivals during the day and at sedenkas at night
4c. Nishnu Se Zvezda:A star came downin trouble, fair red-cheeked pretty girlA star came downIt was not a starIt was a young girlThe girl is runningIn trouble, fair red-cheeked pretty girlRunning and screaming
5. Yiati Foumaro KokainiWhere is my beauty? Where are my good looks? In Athens, there was none other like me.I was a doll, trulyWith great eleganceAnd I tell you storiesof a crazy life!I got caught up with a rascalA crafty oneHe took everything I had and left me.My heart, my youth, my moneyAnd for my heartache, I smoke cocaine.I was loved by young and oldI spent my beautiful lifewith songs and wineeach day carefree.What a golden life I had.And now what a poor thing I amturned witheredDestroyed because he left meThat crazy rascal, cocaine smokerFor my troubles, now I smoke cocaine.
6. Zheni Se SineGet married son, get marriedWhile I'm still able, sonTo look after your small childrenTo enjoy having grandchildrenDon't talk to me like that, motherDon't make me angryYou know what you did, motherTo seperate me from Nevena
Get married, son, get marriedYour mother needs joy tooI can't watch your hairs growing grayDon't talk to me like that, motherYou separated me from Nevena
I can't watch, son, your friendsWith their young brides andHolding their young children's handsDon't talk to me like that, motherDon't make me angry You know what you did, motherTo separate me from Nevena.
Here's Nevena comingWith a bunch of flowers in handShe gave it to Velko's motherShe bowed to herMarry her, son, so you have a good wifeMay you have a lot of childrenAnd make me happy in old age.
7. Zaigrale Mamo DevojcinjaLasses start to dance, mamaLasses, woman, peasant girlsDaring Mitra is leading the round danceThe master's housekeepersA little bunny dancesShe's dancing a danceShes leading usHer white face, mamaHer honey lips, she blushedShe dances like a butterflyShe moves her body like a partridgeShe looks with her black eyesShe smiles to me with her honey mouthHere came all the bachelors, motherThey are looking to the daring MitraThose who look at herWish with desire.Do it, give me in marriage mamaGive me in marriage, woman, let me settle down to married lifeTo take her, the daring Mitra