For the General FAQ, click here.
Have a question not answered elsewhere? Contact Us.
How do I upload my music?
At this stage only artists can upload music. Login, go to “manage artists”, select the artist and on this page click “submit track”. The upload wizard (4 easy steps) will guide you. Or watch this short tutorial
How do I download music from the FMA?
- To listen to a track press the circular play button next to every track on FMA
- Clicking the downward-pointing arrow next to every track will download individual MP3s
- Clicking the larger downward-pointing arrow below, will enable users save entire albums
- The ⓘ symbol stands for "info" and will open the page of the track in a new window
- The ⓧ symbol lets you delete a track from the playlist
How can I save my favorite tracks?
FMA members can add tracks to Favorites list while browsing FMA.
To mark a track as a favorite:
- Login and click on the star icon to the right of the track title
- The star will go from clear to black
- Once you have selected your favorite tracks, return to your profile page to find your favorites
What can I do with an FMA member account?
The FMA offers users a vast catalog of original music by independent musicians and artists. All users can download original music on FMA, whether you are a member or not. However, signing up with the FMA and becoming a member allows you to:
- Build your own FMA profile and blog
- Create and save a list of favorite tracks
- Create mixes of tracks from Free Music Archive
- Stream your mixes or your list of favorites
- Connect with FMA artists and communtiy
How do I edit my FMA profile?
To edit a profile, visit your FMA member page by
- Click on the "Profile" button at the top of the page
- Then, click on the "Edit Page" button at the upper right corner of the page
What are the dimensions for images on FMA?
- Curator Logo: 290 x 170
- Curator Top: 476 x 269
- Artist: 290 x 290
- Album: 290 x 290
- Song: 290 x 290
- Mix / Collection: 290 x 220
- Profile: 145 x 145
- Blog Post: 420 x 280
How do I make a mix?
Mixes are a way to group tracks from the FMA library and share them with the FMA community and make .zip files for easy bulk downloads.
After you login, you will find "my mixes" in your drop-down menu. Click the "Make a Mix" option, enter some basic details and you are ready to explore. Browse FMA for songs you want to add and use the + sign. You can add a song to a mix you have created earlier.
How do I deactivate my account?
Visit your member page by clicking on the "Profile" link in the top bar of any page, or clicking here. Then click the "Edit Page" pencil icon in the upper right corner of your profile. You will find the option to close your account. Make sure to hit the "save" button.
How can I help support artists I discover on FMA?
When visiting the artist page, you can click the "Tip the Artist" button to make a donation (PayPal). Check the artist's website for merchandise, vinyl or (online) tickets. Share the artist page with your family and friends. Tweet, blog about the artist and his/her music and link back to the page or song online. Last but not least we are in the process of allowing musicians to add another cool feature to receive your support. We work with Coil.com
With a Coil subscription you will be able to browse, surf, and access all websites and services connected with Coil while only paying $5 membership per month. You will have access to original (premium) content from journalists, musicians, photographers, game developers, podcasters, and many other creatives across varieties of sites.
In our case this means that if a FMA musician enabled this functionality you will be able to directly support the FMA artist. Small amounts of money will travel from your Coil account to the specific FMA artist. We are talking about micropayments paid in real-time here but if more Coil subscribers start to like this 'auto-tipping' tool, more micropayments will travel to FMA artists. Yeah!
How can I help support FMA?
Thank you for your interest in supporting Free Music Archive! You will help support FMA by discovering new music and introducing new users to FMA. Spread the word!