“Oh Mary Don't You Weep” (by Roger McGuinn)
From Roger McGuinn's "The Folk Den Project" page:
"In November of 1995 I began a project for the preservation of the music I love, Folk Music. Each month I would record a song, print the lyrics and chords, add a personal note and put it on my web site, mcguinn.com. I wanted everyone to have the opportunity to learn the songs and to be able to sing them with their families and friends, so downloads were offered free of charge."
The lyrics, chords, and notes on each song can be found at the Folk Den Project website.
In 2005, Roger McGuinn released a 4xCD to commemorate the 10 year anniversary of the FOLK DEN. The
compilation contains 100 favorites re-recorded in 24-bit 44.1 KHz
Stereo, and comes with detailed liner notes. The compilation is available at The Folk Den Project.
A good old gospel song from the southern United States. This has been recorded by many folk singers and exists in numerous versions.
Oh Mary Don't You Weep
Mf - If You Miss Me at the Back of the Bus
Pb - Oh, Sisters Don't You Weep
1. Sandburg, Carl / American Songbag, Harcourt Brace Jovan…, Sof (1928/1955), p476 (Pharaoh's Army Got Drownded)
2. Leisy, James F. (ed.) / Songs for Pickin' and Singin', Gold Medal Books, sof (1962), p198
3. Carawan, Guy & Candie / Sing for Freedom, Sing Out, sof (1990), p 58
4. Lynn, Frank (ed.) / Songs for Swinging Housemothers, Fearon, Sof (1963/1961), p312
5. Best, Dick & Beth (eds.) / New Song Fest Deluxe, Charles Hansen, Sof (1971/1948), p148
6. Winds of the People, Sing Out, Sof (1982), p 35
7. Blood, Peter; and Annie Patterson (eds.) / Rise Up Singing, Sing Out, Sof (1989/1992), p 63
8. Sandburg, Helga (ed.) / Sweet Music, Dial, Bk (1963), p101 (Pharaoh's Army)
9. Abe and Malka. Mandelblatt, Abe & Malka A. / 100 Guitar Accompanyments, Amsco, Sof (1974), p156
10. Davis, Bill. Sounds of the Smokies, Old Traditions BWD 51471, LP (197?), cut#A.04
11. Halifax Three. Halifax Three, Epic BN 26038, LP (1963), cut#B.06
12. Hurt, Mississippi John. Mississippi John Hurt, Vol. 3. Sacred and Secular, Heritage (England) HT320, LP (1988/reis/), cut# 9 (Mary Don't You Weep)
13. Hurt, Mississippi John. Worried Blues, Piedmount PLP-13161, LP (196?/?), cut# 9
14. Hurt, Mississippi John. Garwood, Donald / Masters of Instrumental Blues Guitar, Oak, Fol (1967), p43
15. Kingston Trio. Close Up, Capitol T 1642, LP (1961), cut#A.04 (Don't You Weep Mary)
16. Kingston Trio. Rediscover the Kingston Trio, Folk Era FE 2001, LP (1985), cut#A.04 (Oh, Mary)
17. Leadbelly. Leadbelly's Last Sessions, Part 4, Folkways FA 2942, LP (196?/?), cut# 11 (Mary Don't You Weep)
18. Leadbelly. Lomax, John & Alan Lomax (eds.) / Leadbelly. A Collection of World Famou, Folkways, sof (1959), p51 (Mary Doncha Weep)
19. Schilling, Jean. Old Traditions, Traditional JS-5117, LP (1967/1974), cut#A.03 (Mary Don't You Weep)
20. Seeger, Pete. Seeger, Pete / American Favorite Ballads, Oak, Fol (1961), p78
21. Sheer, Anita. Anita Sheer, MGM E-4225, LP (196?), cut#B.06
22. Steamboat Entertainers. Galax International, Heritage (Galax) 067, LP (1988/?), cut# 19
23. Taussig, Harry. Taussig, Harry / Folk-Style Guitar, Oak, Sof (1973), p 97
Lyrics and chords available from Folk Den Project.
Oh Mary Don't You Weep by Roger McGuinn is licensed under a Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.