Evidence (1 Albums, 1 Tracks)
- Stephan Moore is a composer
- audio artist
- sound designer and software programmer from Marquette
- currently based in New York City. His work is grounded in the collection and investigation of environmental sound recordings and a fascination with the perception and properties of acoustic environments. Performances and installation artworks make use of multi-channel arrays of his Hemisphere speakers. He maintains several ongoing collaborations with diverse musicians
- live-video artists and choreographers. He is currently the Sound Supervisor of the Merce Cunningham Dance Company.
- Scott Smallwood was born in Dallas
- and grew up at 10
- 000 feet in elevation in the Colorado Rockies. When Smallwood was 10 years old
- his father gave him a cassette tape recorder
- and ever since he has been fascinated by the possibilities of recorded sound. His work deals with real and abstracted soundscapes based on a practice of listening
- and phonography. Ranging from sonic photographs
- studio compositions
- instrumental pieces
- and improvisations
- the resulting pieces are often textural
- always mindful of space and subtlety.
Sound artists Stephan Moore and Scott Smallwood began performing as the duo Evidence in 2001. Focusing on the universe of real-world sound, Evidence pours field recordings like water into their compositional and improvisational process, resulting in music that balances between tight organization and unregulated flow. Using recording equipment, laptops, and other electronic devices, Evidence creates music that deals with gradual change, improvised over time, sometimes atmospheric, sometimes pulsating, always texturally striking and unique. Resisting classification into a single genre, Evidence is equally at home performing in experimental venues, clubs, galleries, planetariums, and rooftops.