1-6 of 6 Per Page: 01

What constitutes commercial use?

by Hywel - Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:17am

I've been using CC music for a while, mostly by contacting producers and artists directly on Soundclound and telling them exactly what I want to use their music for. 

I would like to start using music from this site but want to know exactly what constitutes commerical use. 

I make short videos that are exclusively hosted on YouTube. I receive a small amount of cash sponsorship each month from three companies to carry their logo in the vid and be mentioned in the description. 

The videos are not and will not ever be PPV or sold via DVD or similar. 

Are my videos commerical due to this advertising?  

Thanks in advance

by Hywel

RE: What constitutes commercial use?

by Hywel - Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:12am

BTW I'm not a YouTube partner, and am not looking to become one. I don't even have revenue sharing enabled. 

by Hywel

by therewasaguy - Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:19am

Hey Hywel,

For better or for worse, CC's definition is somewhat open to interpretation because they couldn't have foreseen every type of use that might arise along with new technologies. So in 2009, Creative Commons addressed this issue with a survey into how the public defines noncommercial usehttp://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/17127

The results of this survey demonstrate that people's opinions differ, and so some might interpret paid sponsors' logos appearing in a video as advertising/commercial use. With that in mind, reaching out to the artist first sounds like the best way.

by therewasaguy
Admin

by Hywel - Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:04pm

Thanks for that link – you're right, it seems contacting the artist first is definitely best 

Thanks for the help! 

by Hywel

by Vanlen - Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:41am

It's a long process but it does solve a lot of problems by definitely getting written permission.  As a commercial Free radio station and playing non mainstream alternative music CC BY SA, CC BY  etc isn't a problem, but CC BY NC is just that, NON COMMERCIAL, which is very confusing and the most restrictive form, especially for new artists trying to get exposure.  That is why, even in our case of being commercial free and a listener supported radio station, you still must get permission as far as I understand it.  We launch on the first day of spring and it's been a long 7 months of getting written permissions let me tell you.  But fun non the less as most artists are very positive.

Cheers

by Vanlen

by Hywel - Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:45am

Good point re the positivity!

I've found almost all artists to be extremely receptive and happy that someone wants to use their music, so long as they're not losing out on a payday. I find generally that most artists who release under CC license have no problem in negotiating terms for specific cases, so long as the user is open and honest about their intentions. 

by Hywel

1-6 of 6 Per Page: 01