Masters Remastered Official Rules
Masters Remastered Challenge
These Official Rules ("Rules") govern your participation in the Masters Remastered Challenge ("Challenge"). Participation in the Challenge constitutes your full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Rules; so, it is important that you read and understand them.
1. Sponsors: The Challenge is sponsored and run by the Free Music Archive and WFMU, owned and operated by Auricle Communications, a charitable corporation, headquartered at 43 Montgomery St Jersey City, NJ 07303, ph. 1-201-521-1416.
2. Entry Period: The Challenge will go online at 10:00 a.m. EDT on Monday, March 9th 2015. You may enter the Challenge by uploading recording(s) of your song(s) and a completed Masters Remastered Challenge Entry Form for each recording after 12:00 p.m. (noon) EST on Monday, March 9th 2015. The entry period will end at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, April 3rd 2015.
3. Who is Eligible? The Challenge is offered only to natural persons older than thirteen (13) years of age as of the date of entry. Employees, independent contractors, officers, and directors of Sponsors, their respective shareholders, agents, representatives, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies, and legal advisors ("Sponsors' parties"), and the immediate family members and persons living in the same household of such persons, are not eligible to participate in the Challenge. Void where prohibited by law.
4. How to Enter: To enter, you must upload a recording of a song and a completed Entry Form for each recording that you upload using the submission tool found at http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Masters_Remastered/Masters_Remastered/. As set forth in the Masters Remastered Challenge Entry Form, entrants must provide names, email address(es), the title of the submitted song, the name of the score from which it was derived, a list identifying all source material incorporated in the song, and an acknowledgment of all entrants' agreement to these Rules and confirmation that their contributions are licensed under CC0 1.0 Universal - Public Domain Dedication. Entrants are required to register for the Free Music Archive and to include their Free Music Archive usernames on the Masters Remastered Challenge Entry Form.
Songs shall be derived from public domain compositions, including those listed on the Free Music Archive website at http://freemusicarchive.org/member/cheyenne_h/blog/Who_Will_Remaster_the_Masters and shall be comprised of music you’ve recorded, and/or material that is in the public domain, and/or other material that you have express permission to use and license in accordance with Rule 5.
IF, IN CREATING YOUR SONG, YOU USE CONTENT THAT YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO USE, YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ENTER THIS COMPETITION AND YOUR ENTRY WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE DISQUALIFIED BY THE SPONSORS AND NOT CONSIDERED BY THE JUDGES.
Submit your song by uploading it at http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Masters_Remastered/Masters_Remastered/ after 10:00 a.m. EDT on Monday, March 9th 2015 along with a completed Masters Remastered Challenge Entry Form for each track you submit.
Any number of persons may enter with regard to an individual recording. However, each individual entrant MUST BE SPECIFICALLY IDENTIFIED on the Masters Remastered Challenge Entry Form in order to be eligible for a prize. Any person or group may enter as many times as desired, but each individual or group entrant is only eligible for one prize.
To be eligible for the prizes (described below in Rule 7), an entrant or group of named entrants, must be the sole author(s), performer(s), and copyright owner(s) of the submitted recording(s), or must have express permission (via license or otherwise) to use or incorporate those portions of the recording(s) and song(s) authored or owned by third parties and license the recording(s) in accordance with these Rules. Entrants may not use any materials that infringe the rights of any third party (i.e., materials used without express permission of the copyright owner).
5. Format of Entries: Entries must be in the form of an audio recording and in MP3 format, stereo bitrate 192kbps or higher (256kbps preferred). All eligible entries must be received by email or on the website by 6:00 p.m. on Friday, April 3rd 2015. Entries that are received after 6:00 p.m. on Friday, April 3rd 2015 are not eligible. Sponsors are not responsible for late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, or unintelligible entries. Such entries are not eligible and will not be considered.
6. What others may do with your song(s): By submitting a track as part of the Challenge, you agree to license that track to the rest of the world under a CC0 1.0 Universal - Public Domain Dedication.
Eligible entries may be made available to the general public for download on the Free Music Archive website (or elsewhere) under the CC0 1.0 Universal - Public Domain Dedication. Sponsors reserve the right to evaluate each entry's eligibility under the Rules as well as for compliance with the United States Copyright Act and any and all other applicable laws. Entries may be disqualified from the Challenge at the discretion of the Sponsors.
By submitting an entry, you are representing and warranting that the content in your entry is authorized to be used by you, submitted to the Sponsor, and licensed to the general public under a CC0 1.0 Universal - Public Domain Dedication.
By submitting an entry, you also agree and acknowledge that you will receive no royalties from Sponsors, other entrants, or members of the general public who use your song, consistent with the terms of the CC0 1.0 Universal - Public Domain Dedication. You also acknowledge that you understand these terms “dedicate the work to the public domain by waiving all of his or her rights to the work worldwide under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights, to the extent allowed by law.”
7. Prizes: Judges (described in Rule 8) will select one (1) Award winner using the criteria outlined in Rule 8. In addition to recognition on our website (http://www.freemusicarchive.org) as a prize to the winner, Sponsors will award a Moog Etherwave Theremin.
All prize expenses and/or services not specified herein are not included and are the sole responsibility of the winner. No alternative prize, cash equivalent, or other substitution is permitted except by Sponsors, at Sponsors' sole discretion, in the event of prize unavailability. Prizes are nontransferable. All federal, provincial, state and/or local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winner.
8. Judges, Criteria and Notification: The official judging panel for the selection of the Curator's Award winner of the Challenge shall be comprised of representatives from the Sponsors (collectively, the "Judges"). All qualified entries will be judged based on a variety of elements, including, but not limited to, originality, creativity, artistic merit, adherence (or lack thereof) to the original score, and general musical appeal. The application of the judging criteria shall be in the sole and absolute discretion of the Judges and/or the Sponsors.
All grading and voting decisions are final. Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify any entry that is, in Sponsors' sole and absolute discretion, inappropriate, offensive, or demeaning to Sponsors' reputation or goodwill, or contrary to Sponsors' mission or these Rules.
Once the evaluation of and voting on the entries has been completed, the Sponsors will notify the top winning entry for the Curator's Award via email and/or telephone using the contact information submitted by the entrants in the Masters Remastered Challenge Entry Form. If a winner fails to respond within fourteen (14) days of the date following Sponsors' effort to notify that winner, that winner will be disqualified and the entrant with the next highest scoring track in the same Award category will be selected as an alternate winner and notified according to this procedure.
Within twenty-one (21) days of the date of the notification, each winner must sign and return to the Sponsors a Publicity Consent & Liability Release Form as well as any other documentation required by Sponsors, which the Sponsors will provide to the winner shortly after notification. If a winner fails to sign and return a Publicity Consent & Liability Release Form and/or other documentation within twenty-one (21) days, the entrant with the next highest scoring track will be selected as an alternate winner and notified according to this procedure.
9. General Terms and Conditions: By participating, entrants agree that the Sponsors' parties are not responsible or liable for, and are released and held harmless from: (i) telephone, electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet, or computer malfunctions, failures, or difficulties of any kind; (ii) any condition caused by events beyond the control of Sponsors that may cause the Challenge to be disrupted or corrupted; (iii) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Challenge; (iv) any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind in connection with or resulting from participation in the Challenge or acceptance of any prize, including without limitation, personal injury, death, and property damage, and claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to suspend or cancel Challenge at any time if a computer virus, bug, or other technical problem corrupts the administration, security, or proper conduct of the Challenge. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Rules, or the rights and obligations of participant and Sponsors in connection with the Challenge, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New Jersey, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions (whether of the State of New Jersey or any other jurisdiction), that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New Jersey.
10. Winners List/Official Rules: For a copy of these Terms or the name of the Award-winning Participant, send a separate, stamped, self-addressed envelope to: WFMU Free Music Archive, Masters Remastered Challenge, PO Box 2011, Jersey City, NJ 07303. Requests received after March 16th 2015, shall not be honored.
12. DMCA Compliance: Sponsors comply with the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). In compliance with the DMCA, a Designated Agent has been established with proper documentation sent to the United States Copyright Office. If you have a concern regarding the use of copyrighted material on the Free Music Archive site, which is hosted by Auricle Communications, please contact the agent designated to respond to reports alleging copyright infringement.
The designated agent for Free Music Archive to receive notification of claimed infringement under Title II of the DMCA is:
43 Montgomery Street
Jersey City, NJ 07303
Tel: 1-201-521-1416 x243