APC Contest Rules
The Free Music Archive Presents:
The Anti-Pop Consortium / "Reflections" REMIX CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
All submitted entries must be licensed to the general public under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 license. These Official Rules ("Rules") govern your participation in the Anti-Pop Consortium / "Reflections" Remix Contest ("Contest"). Participation in the Contest constitutes your full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Rules; so, it is important that you read and understand them.
1. Sponsors: The Contest is sponsored and run by The Free Music Archive and WFMU, owned and operated by Auricle Communications, a charitable corporation, headquartered at 43 Montgomery St Jersey City, NJ 07303, ph. 1-201-521-1416
2. Entry Period: The Contest's audio elements will go online at 11:00 a.m. ET on November 12, 2009. You may enter the Contest by emailing your remixes and a completed Anti-Pop Consortium Contest Entry Form for each remix to [email protected] after 11:00 a.m. ET on November 12, 2009.
3. Who is Eligible? The Contest is offered only to natural persons older than 13 years of age as of the date of entry. Employees, independent contractors, officers, and directors of Sponsors, their respective shareholders, agents, representatives, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies, and legal advisors ("Sponsors' parties"), and the immediate family members and persons living in the same household of such persons, are not eligible to participate in the Contest. Void where prohibited by law.
4. How to Enter: The Sponsors are offering you the chance to engage in a creative dialogue with Big Dada recording artist Anti-Pop Consortium. To enter, you must submit a remix of Anti-Pop Consortium’s "Reflections" and a completed Anti-Pop Consortium Contest Entry Form for each remix that you submit by email to [email protected]. As set forth in the Anti-Pop Consortium Contest Entry Form, entrants must provide names, email addresses, a street address, a phone number, the title of the submitted remix, a list identifying all source material incorporated in the remix, and an acknowledgment of all entrants’ agreement to these Rules and confirmation that their contributions are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 license. Entrants are encouraged (but not required) to register for the Free Music Archive and to include their Free Music Archive user names on the Anti-Pop Consortium Contest Entry Form.
Remixes must include all or some portion of the Anti-Pop Consortium audio elements from the track, “Reflections,” that have been made available at the Contest pages at wfmu.org and freemusicarchive.org as well as music that you create yourself, and/or material that is in the public domain, and/or other material that you have express permission to use and license in accordance with Rule 5.
For the avoidance of doubt, you acknowledge and agree that the Anti-Pop Consortium audio elements from the track, “Reflections,” that have been made available at the Contest pages on wfmu.org and freemusicarchive.org are licensed for use under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 license (and that all rights that are not expressly granted under this license are reserved by Anti-Pop Consortium/Big Dada Recording). You further acknowledge and agree that, consistent with the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 license, you must attribute Anti-Pop Consortium as well as Big Dada whenever you use the musical tracks (i.e., "Remix using elements from Anti-Pop Consortium / Big Dada"), but not in such a way as to imply any endorsement, approval or affiliation with or by Anti-Pop Consortium or Big Dada.
IF, IN CREATING YOUR REMIX, YOU USE CONTENT THAT YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO USE, YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ENTER THIS COMPETITION AND YOUR ENTRY WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE DISQUALIFIED BY THE SPONSORS AND NOT CONSIDERED BY THE JUDGES.
Submit your remix by email to [email protected] after 11:00 a.m. ET on November 12, 2009 along with a completed Anti-Pop Consortium Contest Entry Form for each track you submit.
Any number of persons may enter with regard to an individual recording. However, each individual entrant MUST BE SPECIFICALLY IDENTIFIED on the Anti-Pop Consortium Contest Entry Form in order to be eligible for a prize. Any person or group may enter as many times as desired, but each individual or group entrant is only eligible for one prize.
To be eligible for the prizes (described below in Rule 7), an entrant or group of named entrants, must be the sole author(s) and copyright owner(s) of the submitted remix(es), or must have express permission (via license or otherwise) to use or incorporate those portions of the remix(es) authored or owned by third parties and license the remix(es) in accordance with these Rules. Entrants may not use any materials that infringe the rights of any third party (i.e., materials used without express permission of the copyright owner).
5. Format of Entries: Entries must be in the form of an audio recording and in MP3 format, stereo bitrate 192kbps or higher (256kbps preferred). All eligible entries must be received by email by 9:00 p.m. ET on December 20, 2009. Entries that are received after 9:00 p.m. PT, December 20, 2009, are not eligible. Sponsors are not responsible for late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, or unintelligible entries. Incomplete, illegible, or unintelligible entries are not eligible.
6. What others may do with your remix(es): By submitting a track as part of the Contest, you agree to license that track to the rest of the world under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 license available here.
Eligible entries may be made available to the general public for download on the Free Music Archive website (or elsewhere) under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 license. Sponsors reserve the right to evaluate each entry's eligibility under the Rules as well as for compliance with the United States Copyright Act and any and all other applicable laws. Entries may be disqualified from the Contest at the discretion of the Sponsors.
By submitting an entry, you are representing and warranting that the content in your entry is authorized to be remixed by you, submitted to the Sponsors, and licensed to the general public under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 license.
By submitting your remix, you also agree and acknowledge that you will receive no royalties from Sponsors, other contestants, or members of the general public who use your remix, consistent with the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 license.
7. Prizes: Judges (described in Rule 8) will select one (1) Grand Prize winner and five (5) Runners Up using the criteria outlined in Rule 8. The Grand Prize winner will receive one (1) Florescent Black 2xLP (approximate retail value $20), two (2) Anti-Pop Consortium buttons (total approximate retail value $2), Free Music Archive Sampler CDs Vol. 1 & 2 (total approximate retail value $20), one (1) WFMU Hoodie (total approximate retail value $35), and one (1) WFMU Locked Groove LP (total approximate retail value $20). Runners Up (up to five) will each receive one (1) Florescent Black CD (total approximate retail value $15), one (1) Free Music Archive sampler CD (total approximate retail value $10), and one (1) Anti-Pop Consortium button (total approximate retail value $1). The total approximate retail value of all prizes is $227.
All prize expenses and/or services not specified herein are not included and are the sole responsibility of the winner(s). No alternative prize, cash equivalent, or other substitution is permitted except by Sponsors, at Sponsors’ sole discretion, in the event of prize unavailability. Prizes are nontransferable. All federal, provincial, state and/or local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners.
8. Judges, Criteria and Notification: The official judging panel for the selection of the winner of the Contest shall be comprised of representatives from the Sponsors and/or Anti-Pop Consortium (collectively, the “Judges”). All qualified entries will be judged based on a variety of elements, including, but not limited to, originality, creativity, and general musical appeal. The application of the judging criteria shall be in the sole and absolute discretion of the Judges and/or the Sponsors.
All grading decisions are final. Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify any entry that is, in Sponsors' sole and absolute discretion, inappropriate, offensive, or demeaning to Sponsors' reputation or goodwill, or contrary to Sponsors' mission or these Rules.
Once the grading of the entries has been completed, the Sponsors will notify the top winning entry and each of the up to five (5) runners up via email and/or telephone using the contact information submitted by the entrants in the Anti-Pop Consortium Contest Entry Form. If a winner fails to respond within fourteen (14) days of the date following Sponsors’ effort to notify that winner, that winner will be disqualified and the entrant with the next highest scoring track will be selected as an alternate winner and notified according to this procedure. Within twenty-one (21) days of the date of the notification, each winner must sign and return to the Sponsors a Publicity Consent & Liability Release Form as well as any other documentation required by Sponsors, which the Sponsors will provide to the winner shortly after notification. If a winner fails to sign and return a Publicity Consent & Liability Release Form and/or other documentation within twenty-one (21) days, the entrant with the next highest scoring track will be selected as an alternate winner and notified according to this procedure.
9. General Terms and Conditions: By participating, entrants agree that the Sponsors' parties are not responsible or liable for, and are released and held harmless from: (i) telephone, electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet, or computer malfunctions, failures, or difficulties of any kind; (ii) any condition caused by events beyond the control of Sponsors that may cause the Contest to be disrupted or corrupted; (iii) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Contest; (iv) any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind in connection with or resulting from participation in the Contest or acceptance of any prize, including without limitation, personal injury, death, and property damage, and claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to suspend or cancel Contest at any time if a computer virus, bug, or other technical problem corrupts the administration, security, or proper conduct of the Contest. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Rules, or the rights and obligations of participant and Sponsors in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New Jersey, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions (whether of the State of New Jersey or any other jurisdiction), that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New Jersey.
10. Winners List/Official Rules: For a copy of these Terms or the name of the Award-winning Participant, send a separate, stamped, self-addressed envelope to: WFMU Free Music Archive, Anti-Pop Consortium remix contest, PO Box 2011, Jersey City, NJ 07303. Requests received after May 1, 2010, shall not be honored.
12. DMCA Compliance: Sponsors comply with the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). In compliance with the DMCA, a Designated Agent has been established with proper documentation sent to the United States Copyright Office. If you have a concern regarding the use of copyrighted material on the Free Music Archive site, which is hosted by Auricle Communications, please contact the agent designated to respond to reports alleging copyright infringement. The designated agent for Free Music Archive to receive notification of claimed infringement under Title II of the DMCA is: Jason Sigal
43 Montgomery St
Jersey City, NJ 07303
Tel: 1-201-521-1416 x243
text based on text available at ccmixter.org under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial license 2.5